WordPress Plugin Databases and Repositories
There are not as many plugin databases as there is theme databases. The good news is that there are a lot of good free ones on the WordPress website. (not many themes on the WordPress website) Beware of plugins that have not been updated or do not have a header image as they are not usually as planned out and may break on you.
Always backup your website before installing a new plugin. If your plugin does mess up your website you can go to the plugin directory of your website and delete the folder that contains the defective plugin. This tends to restore your website. You can do this through FTP or through the control panel of your hosting solution.
It seems that the best practice of obtaining a plugin is to buy one that is going to be updated. This way you know you will have support and that it will probably will be updated in the future.
Please note that you should be buying and utilizing responsive plugins. A responsive plugins will not break on mobile and tablet devices but instead resize and react well to the different screen sizes.
Responsive web design (RWD) is a web design approach aimed at crafting sites to provide an optimal viewing experience—easy reading and navigation with a minimum of resizing, panning, and scrolling—across a wide range of devices (from desktop computer monitors to mobile phones).
A site designed with RWD adapts the layout to the viewing environment by using fluid, proportion-based grids, flexible images,and CSS3 media queries, an extension of the @media rule.
- The fluid grid concept calls for page element sizing to be in relative units like percentages, rather than absolute units like pixels or points.
- Flexible images are also sized in relative units, so as to prevent them from displaying outside their containing element.
- Media queries allow the page to use different CSS style rules based on characteristics of the device the site is being displayed on, most commonly the width of the browser.
- Server-Side Components (RESS) in conjunction with client side ones such as media queries can produce faster-loading sites for access over cellular networks and also deliver richer functionality/useability.
Large Plugin Databases and Repositories
- Code Canyon
- www.TheGreatStartupWiki.com list of plugins by category