Already Made Web Platforms
You may be thinking of building your own website. That isn’t always necessary from the start. There are some arguments about this though.
Argument for using an already available solution
- You don’t have to build the website
- Someone already has taken care of all the legal stuff
- You don’t have to worry about site speed as they have their own hosting setup already
- You don’t have to buy a domain name
- They already have traffic coming to their website
- They already have the payment stuff setup
- You don’t have to be a technically minded person to use it
- You don’t have to worry about maintaining a website or the domain names or anything else except for your business stuff
- PCI compliance (very important for an eCommerce store)
Argument for building your own website
- If you are a tech person, you can setup things the way you want
- You get to pick what platforms you are using such as WordPress, phpbb, joomla, etc.
- You get to pick the host you use
- You get to pick your own domain name
- You don’t have to transfer users over to your own site when you get popular
- You get to analyze traffic and figure out how to advertise all on your own
- You get to cut out the middle man so you get more money
- You can switch up features whenever you want
- Freedom to do as you please
Now, I personally enjoy doing my own setups but sometimes a premade solution is good to use. I personally don’t want to make my own crowd sourcing page because I would have to build it and run my business at the same time. With a premade solution like kickstarter or indiegogo, I can take care of all my business stuff and they take care of maintaining a website and finding traffic for it and payments and all that jazz.
There is no perfect answer. It is up to you and how much time you have and if you are technically skilled enough and whatever other factors you have to deal with.
- Ebay – Physical
- Amazon – Digital, Physical, Ebooks, Music
- Shopify – Digital, Physical
- ShopLocket – Digital, Physical
- Etsy – Digital, Hand crafted items
- GumRoad – (social eCommerce) Digital
- Ribbon – (social eCommerce) Digital, Physical, Services, Events, Donations, etc.
- Sellfy – Digital
- Bandcamp – Music
- Rumblefish – Music
- Tunecore – Music
- CDbaby – Music
- Chirpify – (social eCommerce) Digital, Physical, Tickets, Coupons, etc.
Email and Mailing Lists
Forms and Surveys
Needs Some Information
- Client Management (CRM)
- Forms and Surveys
- Help Center
- Live Chat
- Photo Galleries
- Project Management
- Website Builder
Note: Purpose Built Platforms should be made into its own page so as to more fully describe the systems. Also lists should only have the top solutions in their field. No randoms.