License and Permits

License and Permits

There are a lot of licenses and permits to acquire. You do not want to be caught not having the ones you need.

Main Levels

  • Federal
  • State
  • County
  • City

Because of the wide diverse amount of variations we have little information is listed here. This may change at a later date.

Talk to a lawyer about the license and permit issues. They will be able to help you more extensively than we ever can.

Some Information

If you want to sell you will generally need to talk to the state, county and city. The county courthouse for county issues (sometimes city issues) and the city’s chamber of commerce for city issues. States can be looked up on the state website. Look under the business section. Finding a states website is easy. Type in the state name then .gov

How to Find the Information

  • Federal
  • State
    • Info found at: (e.g.,,,
      • Look for a business section
  • County
    • Info found at: The county courthouse. Ask for the county clerk. Then ask the county clerk who you should talk to. The gaurds up front probably won’t know and each county courthouse has tasked different people for different jobs.
  • City
    • Info found at: The chamber of commerce

Some Common Permits and Licenses

  • Food
  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco sales
  • Vending machines
  • Street vendors
  • Food trucks
  • House to house sales
  • Selling at fairs, flee markets, markets in general, etc.

Also be aware of zoning issues.

See also: License, Permits, and Tax Requirements

[psCode: PostAdvisorFormBlock]

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.